Visualization is a very powerful tool, and you can use it to help your body heal. Visualization may also be called “guided imagery” or “creative visualization.” Using your imagination is easier than you might think. Children use their imagination every day, but as adults, we typically lose this ability over time. You use your imagination every time you daydream or get lost in thought.
By learning to take control of your imagination and by expanding it, you will feel much more calm and carefree and you can even visualize your way to better health.
Researchers believe that physical thoughts affect our health. Many ancient civilizations used mind-body techniques to harness the power of the imagination. Guided imagery is actually used in more than 3,000 hospitals nationwide, and it is a growing trend.
Guided imagery can help one feel better, alleviate pain, help one cope with the side effects of medication and even help someone overcome debilitating diseases.
There are many techniques one can use to heal the mind and body. One way is to imagine your body self-healing:
- You can begin with a simple progressive relaxation method, where you tighten and release each muscle of the body starting at the feet and working your way upward.
- Once this relaxed state is achieved, you can picture your pain or disease as dark spots in your body and visualize them being washed away by a peaceful, calming light.
- Imagine a blue or soft green light coming down through your body, swirling and touching the edges of the dark problem areas, removing toxins, waste and even unhealthy cells from your body.
- The breath can be very healing.
- Simply take two-three very deep breaths.
- Imagine the breath moving through your body, gathering up damaged cells.
- As you inhale, imagine your breath is cleaning your body.
- As you exhale, imagine the breath is carrying away toxins and disease.
- You can even imagine your exhaled breath as a dark gray color and your inhaled breath as a beautiful white color.
- Repeat until you feel your breath has cleansed your body.
- Take yourself to a very relaxing place and allow your body to let go and release strain and tension.
- See yourself on a beautiful beach, walking along in the warm, white sand.
- Feel the sea air and the warm sun.
- Imagine the light of the sun is healing your body.
- See the sun’s powerful rays moving through your body, purging your body of any illness or disease.
- Take yourself to that same relaxing place and use your imagination to dial down your pain.
- Imagine you have access to a large volume knob and see yourself dialing down your pain. If your pain is a 10, see yourself lowering your pain to a more manageable number, like a two or a three.
- You can also imagine your pain is being locked away in a steel box.
- See yourself gathering up your pain and locking it away and burying it.
- You could also send your pain up into a hot air balloon and watch it drift away.
- Imagine your cancer is like an army of invaders in your body.
- See yourself sending an army of soldiers into your body like angry Pac men.
- You could visualize these Pac men gobbling away your cancer and restoring you to perfect health.
The mind is a very powerful tool, and you can use it to help your body heal. Simply take a few deep breaths, close your eyes and use your imagination however you like. There is no limit to what you might be able to overcome.